Duo Two-Factor Authentication
Wayne State University uses two-factor authentication to protect access to personal data within Academica.
- As of Oct. 15, 2020, two-factor is needed when you access your grades, financial aid awards, tax documents, time sheets, pay stub or any other personal information.
- Two-factor is not needed for Academica, Canvas, or Wayne State email (and other Microsoft 365 applications).
- When Spring 2021 registration opens on Feb. 8, 2021, two-factor will be needed to register for classes.
Two-factor authentication (2FA) adds a second layer of security to your online accounts. Verifying your identity using a second factor (like your phone or other mobile device) prevents anyone but you from logging in to your account, even if they know your password.
Wayne State University uses Duo Security for our 2FA solution. The service features:
- One-tap authentication from your mobile device via the free Duo Mobile app.
- You can use Duo Mobile even when your mobile device has a bad network connection.
Duo Security's 2FA service is simple to use; just acknowledge the prompt in the Duo Mobile app to complete the sign-in process. This extra step typically takes less than 5 seconds and validates your identity more than the typical online system sign-in process.
Providing Duo 2FA protection is one more way that Wayne State helps protect your security and privacy. With Duo, even if someone steals your AccessID password, they will not be able to access your personal data stored in Academica.
Frequently asked questions
First time setup
- I received an email asking me to set up Duo Two-Factor Authentication. Is this legitimate?
- How do I setup and use Duo Two-Factor Authentication?
- How can I test that my Duo Two-Factor account is set up correctly?
- I am a student and I don't have a smartphone, how can I use Duo?
- How can employees use Duo Two-Factor Authentication without a phone?
- How do I manage my Duo Two-Factor Authentication in Academica?
- How do I set up Duo Mobile push notifications?
- How can I use the passcode function in Duo?
- How do I use the Remember Me function in Duo?
- How do I reset the Duo Mobile app if I get a new phone?
- Duo training videos:
- Duo user guide
For support with Wayne State IT systems or services, please contact the C&IT Help Desk at 313-577-4357 or email@example.com. Find FAQs at tech.wayne.edu/kb and follow us on Twitter @WayneStateCIT for instant updates.