How do DeskTech customers manage Windows Updates?Share & Print
Wayne State University DeskTech customers receive updates via the DeskTech update system. These updates are critical to maintain the stability and security of your computer and the WSU network. When your computer has new updates to install, you will receive a popup message.
This message will show up more frequently as the update deadline approaches. It will give you two options:
- Ignore the message, forcing the update to install automatically once the deadline approaches.
- Download the update at your convenience.
C&IT recommends updating your computer on your own, otherwise you will be forced to update at a time that may conflict with your work.
Note: If you are using a laptop, it must be connected to the internet and turned on. If your laptop is in sleep mode, it will not update.
If you are using a desktop, it must be either connected to the university's internet or connected to the VPN to receive updates. If your desktop is on a personal network or in sleep mode, it will not update.
Follow the steps below to install updates on your computer.
1. Click the popup to open the Software Center window.
2. Choose one of the options:
- Apply all required changes now to begin. A twelve hour timer will begin. You will need to restart your computer in that twelve hour window or it will restart automatically, as long as the device is powered on and not in sleep mode.
- Select Apply all changes outside my business hours and click on View my configured business hours to select a time that you will not be using your computer. The system will automatically install updates and restart your computer outside of your selected business hours.
3. If you choose to install the updates, you will see an additional popup message informing you that your computer will automatically restart in 720 minutes. You may choose to restart your computer at any time that is convenient to you in the next 12 hours (recommended) or let the system restart automatically after 12 hours.
4. If you choose to let your computer restart automatically, you will see the window pictured below nine hours prior to restart. At this point, it is highly advised that you save your work and allow the computer to restart.
5. Your computer will be fully updated following restart.