Position Statement - ActiveSync Permissions on Personal Devices
If you use Microsoft ActiveSync to setup your personal Android or iOS mobile device to sync with Wayne Connect, you may receive a notice that the server is requesting permission to allow remote access, the ability to edit or delete data, and the ability to wipe your device — e.g., remove all personal data from a lost or stolen mobile device.
C&IT takes the following position on these server permissions.
- C&IT has requested the ability to deactivate the server permissions. Unfortunately, Microsoft does not allow them to be turned off at this time.
- These permissions allow you to wipe your device remotely via your Wayne Connect account. You have full control over these permissions and can change them at any time.
If you want to access Wayne Connect on your mobile device but do not wish to allow these server permissions, there are alternatives:
- Use the Microsoft Outlook app for iOS or Android.
- Use the Connect option with the Wayne State Mobile app.
A member of the C&IT Information Security Office may initiate a remote wipe of an employee's device only in the event of extraordinary circumstances, and subject to the following authorization.
- For a university-owned device, the remote wipe must be authorized by the Dean or Vice President of the employing unit.
- For a privately owned device, the remote wipe must be authorized by the Dean or Vice President of the employing unit in consultation with Wayne State's Office of General Counsel and the Provost.
- If ownership of the device is uncertain, it must be treated as a privately owned device.
Wayne State C&IT takes your privacy and security very seriously. Please let us know if you have any questions regarding this position statement.