How can I lock my computer?Share & Print
It is very important to lock your computer any time that you step away from it. Doing so is an easy and effective way to protect the information on your computer system while it's unattended. When you lock your computer, you safeguard your data without having to shut down your system.
Follow the instructions below to lock your computer.
Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7 and 8
- To lock: Press CTRL+ALT+DEL and then click the Lock Workstation button or press the Windows Logo key + L (The Windows logo key is located between your CTRL and ALT keys).
- To unlock: Press CTRL+ALT+DEL, type your password (the password you use to login to your computer at start up) and then click OK.
- To set up
- On the Apple menu, visit System Preferences.
- Click Security and Privacy.
- Check the box next to Require password to wake this computer from sleep or screen saver. Putting the computer to sleep will not automatically require a password to use again. You must also adjust the time span that requires a password after sleep or a screen saver begins.
- Close the Security control panel.
- To lock the computer: On the Apple menu, click Sleep.
- To unlock the computer: Click the mouse or strike any of the keys on the keyboard.