Can I forward my WSU email to an external email address?Share & Print
Wayne State University students and employees may choose to forward their Wayne Connect - Powered by Microsoft email to a different email provider, but it is understood that the choice is done at the user's own risk. In the past, forwarding Wayne Connect email has disrupted email operations. For that reason, C&IT does not recommend forwarding email.
If you choose to utilize email forwarding, please remember:
- WSU has invested in a top-tier email system where all WSU students, faculty and staff get an account with ample storage space.
- C&IT works diligently to resolve delivery problems with external email providers, but these situations often take several days to be resolved.
- It is impossible for C&IT to guarantee message delivery to external email providers; these systems are outside C&IT's control.
When C&IT becomes aware of delivery problems with external email providers:
- C&IT will work with the external provider to resolve the issue.
- C&IT will attempt to email a notice to affected individuals (e.g. those that are forwarding to the external email provider).
- C&IT will post information about the problem on tech.wayne.edu.
- C&IT will send a campus-wide email notice only if a problem persists for seven or more days.
If you choose to forward your WSU email, be aware of these risks:
- Important email originating from WSU may be delayed/not delivered to your forwarding address.
- Bounceback notification policy is set by each external email provider, not by C&IT. Thus senders might not receive a notice that their message was not delivered.
- You are still responsible for reading your WSU email in a timely fashion.
Set email forwarding
If you do choose to use another email address regularly (Gmail, Hotmail, etc.) and don't want to check multiple email accounts, you may use the Wayne Connect Email forwarding feature. Learn more on the C&IT Knowledge Base.