How do I connect to the wired internet in Wayne State residence halls and apartments?Share & Print
Follow the steps below to connect to the internet in Wayne State University housing. Please remember that access to the WSU networks is subject to the Acceptable Use of IT Resouces Policy.
The Anthony Wayne Drive Apartments, Ghafari and Atchison Halls, The Towers Residential Suites, Chatsworth Tower and University Tower Apartments:
- Connect your computer: Look for the orange network jack in your wall and connect a networking cable from your wall jack to your computer.
- Open a browser and log in.
If you are having trouble connecting to the network (you can't access the login page), your computer's network settings may need to be adjusted.
To access the internet via Ethernet in Wayne State University dorms and apartments, you must set up your computer to obtain an IP address from WSU's network. The steps below are likely the default on your computer -- if you can presently connect to the network, you don't need to change anything. If you are having trouble accessing the internet, follow the instructions for your operating system. Do not set a static IP address because you will not be able to access the WSU network.
- Mac OS
- Go to the Apple menu and select System Preferences.
- Under Internet & Network, click Network. From the Show pull-down menu, select Built-in Ethernet.
- A new window will display. From the Configure IPv4 pull-down menu, select Using DHCP.
- In the lower-right corner of the window, click Apply Now.
- Go back to the Apple menu and select Quit System Preferences.
- Windows 7, 8.1 & 10
- Click the Start button and select the Control Panel. Then double-click Network and Internet.
- Double-click Network and Sharing Center.
- Right-click Local Area Connection and then click Properties.
- In the menu, double-click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). In the window that displays, select Obtain an IP address automatically and then select Obtain DNSserver address automatically.
- Click OK in the two remaining windows.