How do I run Dell Diagnostics?Share & Print
Dell computers include a diagnostic software tool that tests your computer's hardware for errors. Follow the steps below to run Dell Diagnostics.
1. Restart the computer.
2. As the computer boots, press F12 when the Dell Splash Screen appears.
3. When the Boot menu appears, highlight the Boot to Utility Partition option or the Diagnostics option and then press to start the 32-bit Dell Diagnostics.
4. Press the Tab key to highlight Test System. Press Enter to continue to 32-bit Diagnostics.
- Express Test: A quick test of devices in the system. This typically can take 10 to 20 minutes.
- Extended Test: A thorough check of devices in the system. This typically can take one hour or more.
- Custom Test: Test a specific device or customize the tests to be run. Exit to MS-DOS will exit the diagnostics to a command prompt.
- Symptom Tree: Lists the most common symptoms and allows you to select tests based on those symptoms.