How do I connect my gaming or smart device to the internet?
If your gaming device, smart TV or other internet capable device is not compatible with the authenticated WSU-SECURE wireless network, you may register your device to connect to WSU-LIMITED at tech.wayne.edu/deviceregistration.
Once you submit your device description and wireless MAC Address, follow the steps below. C&IT is unable to test every device on the market, so these steps may vary based on device.
- Open your device's wireless networks.
- Select Add network. The network will not appear automatically.
- Type WSU-LIMITED in the network name/SSID field.
- There is no password for this Hidden network.
- If your device still does not connect, double check you have entered the wireless MAC address.
- If you still can't connect, contact the C&IT Help Desk at 313-577-4357.
If you need to use your phone or tablet as a controller for your device, then register the controller as well and configure it to also use WSU-LIMITED.
Note: Android 10 has a security feature that randomizes MAC addresses — so the one you register will change unless you disable this feature. This is mandatory to register an Android 10 device with WSU-LIMITED.
The steps below are written for a Google Pixel 4, your personal device may vary.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Network & internet.
- Tap Wi-Fi.
- Tap WSU-LIMITED in your network list.
- Tap Advanced.
- Tap Privacy.
- Tap Use device MAC.
Important information to remember
- The Ethernet port in your room will always provide the fastest and most stable connection to the internet.
- Wayne State students, faculty and staff should use the campus-wide WSU-SECURE wireless network for mobile devices like smartphones, tablets or laptops.
- WSU guests can use the open WSU-PUBLIC wireless network; NEVER share your AccessID and password to give someone access to WSU-SECURE.
- Wayne State's Acceptable Use policy governs your use of all campus networks.