C&IT Internship Program
Applications for fall 2023 are now closed
We're looking for go-getters, not the most experienced. C&IT interns have the curiosity and drive to learn and work alongside professionals and other students who share their passion for technology.
C&IT hosts an internship program that offers Wayne State University students the opportunity to gain IT experience firsthand. Students spend three years working in different areas across C&IT, learning application development, network engineering, supercomputing and more.
The three-year program focuses on a different goal every year and leads students to a specialized intern position, while also giving them a chance to learn about other IT departments.
Year one: Get to know C&IT
Interns rotate through different areas of C&IT, working with two departments for 10 hours per week each, changing each semester.
Intro to departments
- Networking: This team is responsible for maintaining and configuring all the wired and wireless internet networks across campus.
- Security: This team is responsible for network and application security across the university, firewall implementation and configuration, vulnerability scanning and testing, and security information and event management monitoring.
- High Performance Computing: This team manages systems designed forbig data projects,grid computing, and other computationally intensive applications typically related to university research.
- Help Desk: This team supports end users via tickets, emails, and phone calls to troubleshoot various applications such as Academica, Wayne Connect, Canvas, etc. They also provide in-person computer repair services.
Year two: Narrow your focus
Interns have a main department they are assigned to but will spend a few hours per week with a second department.
Year three: Technology specialization
Interns will be assigned to a specific department for 20 hours per week.
Participants in the internship program must meet the following requirements:
- Undergraduate status at the university.
- Full-time enrollment status (except in the summer).
- Availability to work 20 hours per week for the duration of the program.
Select participants will have the opportunity to apply for additional years. This is a paid internship. For questions about the C&IT Internship Program, please contact the program Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.