How do I install my free download of Microsoft Office on my Mac?Share & Print
Follow the instructions below to install your free copy of Microsoft Office on a personally-owned Mac. You may install Office on up to five personally-owned computers. Your free download off Office is for personal use — do not install it on Wayne State departmental computers. The download is about one GB.
How to install the free Microsoft Office download
If you have Office 2011 installed on your computer, please remove it before beginning the process of installing Office 2016. If you installed it via Wayne State University, you may need to remove your login information from your Keychain.
- Log in to Wayne Connect with your AccessID and password at connect.wayne.edu. Click Install now to begin your download. If you don't see the option to install Office, try logging out and then logging back in. If you've already installed a copy of Office or you can't find the Install link, just make sure you're signed into Wayne Connect, then visit portal.office.com/OLS/MySoftware.aspx.
- Open the file Microsoft_Office_2016_Installer.pkg either from your browser's Downloads panel or from your Downloads folder.
- Click Continue.
- Read the Software License Agreement, click Continue and then click Agree in the pop-up window.
- Choose a location on your computer to install the applications and click Continue.
- Click Install. The installer may ask you to close other programs (such as your web browser) to continue.
- Type in your computer password to allow the installation and click Install Software.
- The programs will now install.
- Once the installation is complete, click Close.
- Microsoft Word will automatically open so you may activate your subscription. A new window will open shortly. Click Get started.
- Click Sign In.
- Enter your full AccessID email address (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org) and then click Next.
- Enter your AccessID password. This allows Microsoft to verify your eligibility for free Microsoft Office. Click Sign in. If you are having trouble activating your subscription, change your password and try again.
- Choose a theme and click Continue.
- Click Start Using Word to explore your new copy of Microsoft Office.
NOTE: Learn how to install the free Microsoft Office download for PC on the C&IT Knowledge Base.