How do I setup and use Duo Two-Factor Authentication?Share & Print
Two-factor authentication adds a second layer of security to your online accounts. Two-factor refers to using a smartphone or other device to verify your identity in addition to logging in with your Wayne State University credentials. Verifying your identity using a second factor prevents someone other than you logging in with your credentials.
To setup two-factor authentication for the first time:
2. Open Duo Mobile and tap the Get Started option.
3. On your computer, log in to Academica and click the Settings icon. Then, click Account Management and select Two-Factor Authentication.
4. When you see a message that says, "Protect Your Wayne State University Account," click Start Setup.
5. On the Two-Factor prompt page, the wizard will walk you through setting up your mobile device. For more specific information and to see information for your mobile device, see the guide from Duo Security at guide.duosecurity.com/enrollment.
Using two-factor authentication
You can set up your Duo account to automatically send a push notification to your phone when you log in. Once you've signed into your Duo account in Academica following the steps above, click Device Options next to your device, then click the dropdown arrow next to your device.
Click When I log in: and select Automatically send this device a Duo Push. Then, hit Save.
Don't have a smartphone?
You can use the Duo Mobile app with iOS or Android tablets. Alternatively, use a special hardware token available exclusively from the C&IT Help Desk:
- Yubikeys can be purchased, for details read tech.wayne.edu/kb/security/security/250848.
- Students without smartphones should set up a Duo Consult appointment through the C&IT Help Desk's scheduling tool.
NOTE: Frequently asked questions about Duo are available at kb.wayne.edu/160520.