New Student Tech 101
Welcome to Wayne State University! As a Warrior, you have access to a wealth of technological resources that Computing & Information Technology provides for free or at a discounted rate. If you have questions about anything listed below, please contact our C&IT Help Desk.
New Student Technology Services
Your AccessID and password
Your AccessID is the key to unlock all of the online services at Wayne State. Every student, faculty, and employee has a unique AccessID, consisting of two letters and four numbers (i.e., xy6789). Find your AccessID printed on your WSU OneCard. Your AccessID is also your email address (i.e., firstname.lastname@example.org).
AccessID password: Use this password along with your AccessID to access Wayne State's online services. Never share this password with anybody, including Wayne State employees. Your first AccessID password is the nine-digit ID number that was mailed to you as an applicant. It is also printed on your OneCard. For tips on creating a secure password, click here.
You can also create permanent passwords. They must be 14 characters, including one special character, and may not match your AccessID, name, or date of birth. Passwords that do not meet these standards will need to be changed yearly.
The first time you log in to Academica, you will be asked to change your temporary AccessID password (if you have not already done so) and set up a recovery email address. This lets you change your password yourself if you ever forget it.
Full account management options, including changing your password and recovery email address, are available to logged in users here. Access these options anytime from Academica (in the Settings menu in the upper-right).
Academica is Wayne State's single self-service portal, providing secure access to most WSU systems and services. This includes your financial aid information, final grades, tax documents, and more. It also has a built-in discussion board to connect you with other students. For more information on Academica's features, visit our Knowledge Base.
Canvas and online courses
Nearly all of your classes will have an online component on Canvas, WSU's web-based learning management system. Access Canvas using your AccessID and password at canvas.wayne.edu.
- View course materials online
- Submit assignments, take online tests, and see your grades
- Review readings and your syllabus
- Communicate with classmates and instructors
- Download the Canvas Student App for free:
Wayne State students may purchase their textbooks from any source, but you may find it convenient to purchase them online from the Wayne State bookstore. You can easily view a list of your required textbooks as well as purchase them directly.
- Log in to Academica and go to cardinal.wayne.edu/bncbrsi/bncbrsi.cfm. From that site, select the current or upcoming term and see which books are required for your courses. You can select new or used copies, put them in your cart, and buy them with a credit card for delivery or pickup at the Wayne State bookstore.
- Complete original research and class assignments that require surveys with access to Qualtrics Research Suite.
- Wayne State offers a wide variety of completely online courses and even full programs. Find more information at online.wayne.edu.
Wayne Connect email
Wayne Connect is Wayne State's official communication and collaboration system, featuring email, calendars, instant messaging, and online file storage. Access your Wayne Connect email account at connect.wayne.edu.
- Sync your Wayne Connect email with your iOS or Android device or search for Wayne State in your device's app store to download the Wayne State Mobile app.
- For how-to's and answers to frequently asked questions about Wayne Connect email, visit the the Wayne Connect category on the C&IT Knowledge Base.
Be the first to know about campus closures or emergency situations — sign up for Broadcast Messaging at broadcast.wayne.edu and opt-in to receive notifications on your phone instantly. You may also choose to receive messages from instructors, updates when grades are posted, and information about your dorm, workplace, or class buildings.
Wayne State Mobile app
Wayne State Mobile features maps, news and weather, parking availability, campus dining and so much more. Once you log in to the app, you'll have full mobile access to your email, calendar, grades, and OneCard balance.
The C&IT Help Desk can repair and upgrade your hardware, install software, backup your data and more. Learn more at go.wayne.edu/repairs.
Software and hardware discounts
The C&IT Help Desk offers free and discounted software to Wayne State students, faculty and staff.
- Currently enrolled Wayne State students can get a free download of Microsoft Office for use on their personal devices. Find full details at go.wayne.edu/office.
- If you're planning to buy a new computer in the near future, check out educational discounts available to WSU students on computers from Apple and Dell.
- Cell phone hardware and service discounts are also available to students from AT&T and Sprint.
- The C&IT Help Desk also sells hardware accessories like Ethernet cables, Roku Stick's, and more. View our price list (PDF).