Remote Staff Technology
The following guidelines are designed to support remote technology for Wayne State staff.
- If you have questions regarding this transition, please contact the C&IT Help Desk at 313-577-4357 or email@example.com.
- To request support with physical campus technology, please use the forms at tech.wayne.edu/forms/desktech or contact your local IT support personnel.
- Follow us on Twitter @WayneStateCIT for instant updates.
- As we continue to learn and work from home, make sure you are following online meeting etiquettes guidelines to ensure that all of your meetings go smoothly and efficiently.
- If you are using personal devices to access Wayne State technology systems and services, please makes sure your operating system is up to date. These updates include security patches that protect both you and the Wayne State community at large.
Computers and internet
- University-Owned Laptops
Wayne State C&IT recommends using provided machines for all university-related business.
Your secure home internet connection is strongly preferred. If you must use a public Wi-Fi network (e.g. public library or coffee shop), be sure to use the Wayne State VPN.
- Wayne State VPN
This program is only required when using your personally-owned computer to access STARS, Banner, or Cognos from an off-campus Internet connection. You'll also need Duo Two-Factor Authentication app (see below).
- Access to Academica, Canvas, and Office 365 does not require a VPN connection.
- The VPN is a limited resource; use it only when you need to, and disconnect when you are done.
- View setup instructions at https://tech.wayne.edu/kb/security/wsu-virtual-private-network/500212.
- A VPN connection will not be needed if your university-owned laptop is managed by C&IT DeskTech.
- Duo Two-Factor Authentication
Employees need to make sure the Duo Two-Factor Authentication app is installed and set to use the Push Notification with their cellphone.
- View setup instructions at tech.wayne.edu/kb/security/two-factor-authentication/160520.
- Find out how to change your Duo settings at https://tech.wayne.edu/kb/security/two-factor-authentication/238839.
- Remote Desktop
Our new virtual world requires new tools. Computing & Information Technology (C&IT) and the Office for Teaching and Learning (OTL) are working together to provide Wayne State instructors and academic staff with webcams and headsets for the fall semester. Learn more at tech.wayne.edu/news.
Employees with office phone numbers have several off-campus options. Use the VoIP online portal at https://pub-xs.hvs.att.com/login to change your settings. The password is different than your AccessID; if you need to reset your password, visit tech.wayne.edu/kb/telecommunications/wsu-telephone/142336.
- Voicemail to Email If you receive a voicemail on your office phone, an audio file can be forwarded to your email address. Find setup instructions at tech.wayne.edu/kb/telecommunications/wsu-telephone/147276.
- Simultaneous Ring
You can set your office phone and cell phone to ring at the same time. Find setup instructions at tech.wayne.edu/kb/telecommunications/wsu-telephone/165371.
- Call Forwarding
When someone calls your office phone, it will forward straight to your personal device. Find setup instructions at tech.wayne.edu/kb/telecommunications/wsu-telephone/127485.
The Clearspan Collection offers three ways to use an off-campus phone as your office phone:
- Use your mobile phone to make and receive office calls, and have CallerID show your office number: tech.wayne.edu/kb/telecommunications/wsu-telephone/500225.
- Use your Windows or Mac computer (microphone and speakers required) to make and receive calls: tech.wayne.edu/kb/telecommunications/wsu-telephone/500225.
- Send office calls to your mobile phone and mask your cell phone number when making callbacks at: tech.wayne.edu/kb/telecommunications/wsu-telephone/500204.
Communication and file sharing
- Microsoft Office
Students (and most Wayne State employees) may download up to five free copies of Microsoft Office, which includes Word, PowerPoint, Excel and more. View download instructions at tech.wayne.edu/kb/help-support/cit-help-desk/77651.
- Microsoft Teams Teams is a communication and collaboration tool included with Office 365. Chat, call, have meetings and share files or your screen from your phone or computer. Find more information at tech.wayne.edu/kb/communication-collaboration/instant-messaging/500197.
- Microsoft OneDrive Sync your files and access them remotely using the setup instructions at tech.wayne.edu/kb/communication-collaboration/wayne-connect/154658.
Zoom is a web conferencing tool that makes it easy to collaborate using video chat and desktop sharing. Licenses are now available for employees to hold department meeting and host other events. Meetings can have up to 300 participants and last up to 24 hours. Learn how to activate your license at kb.wayne.edu.Zoom